Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

For Employees

Main content start

What should I do if I am injured at work?

Inform your supervisor right away

No matter how slight the injury may be.  Don’t delay.  There are time limits for reporting and you could lose your right to benefits if the injury is not reported promptly. 

  • If your work-related injury or illness is one that develops over time, report it as soon as you learn it was caused by your work.
  • SLAC employees MUST report the injury/illness to the SLAC Occupational Health Center immediately at: 650-926-2281.

Complete Workers’ Compensation forms with your manager.  Reporting your injury promptly helps to prevent delays in receiving benefits, including the medical care you may need to prevent further injury. 

Seek medical attention

Medical Emergencies

  • On Campus: dial 9-911 (if using a university land-line) or 911 (from another phone) or go the Emergency Room at Stanford Health Care located at 1199 Welch Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304; 650-723-5111.
  • Off Campus: go to the nearest Emergency Room. 
  • Your manager will tell you where to go for follow up treatment.

Urgent Conditions

  • Urgent care is available on a drop-in basis at Stanford University Occupational Health Center (SUOHC) Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm.  SUOHC prefers that you call their office to make them aware of your pending arrival.  SUOHC is located at: 484 Oak Road, 2nd Floor, Stanford, CA 94305; phone: 650-725-5308.
  • For urgent medical care after SUOHC hours go to the Emergency Room at Stanford Health Care of Stanford Health Care Walk-In Clinic located at 211 Quarry Road, Stanford, 4th floor, Suite 402, Monday - Friday, 2:30pm - 10:30pm, 650-498-3328.

Non-Urgent Conditions

  • Contact SUOHC at: 650-725-5308 to schedule an appointment.  SUOHC is located at: 484 Oak Road, 2nd Floor, Stanford, CA 94305; 650-725-5308.

What happens after my doctor’s visit?

SUOHC will provide you with a Work Status Report (aka: doctor’s note); please review this form with your manager: · If your doctor places you off of work related to this incident, then you may not work in any capacity (e.g. you may not check emails) until your doctor releases you to work with or without restrictions. o In this case, if your Workers’ compensation claim is approved you will be paid temporary disability benefits until either: § you return to work at your usual number of work hours, § you become permanent and stationary (P&S), § or until you reach the maximum TTD benefit of 104 weeks. · If your doctor releases you to return to work with restrictions, those restrictions will be reviewed for possible accommodation that may allow you to return to work in some appropriate capacity.  The Office of Risk Management works with you, your supervisor, and HR Manager to identify the appropriate accommodation in an effort to facilitate return to work. · If your doctor releases you to return to work without restrictions, then you may return to your usual and customary role immediately.

What are my Workers’ Compensation Benefits?

Zurich North America Insurance administers Stanford's Workers’ Compensation claims.  A claims adjuster from Zurich will contact you to discuss your claim and investigate the incident as needed. The claims adjuster will notify you by mail of the status of your claim (e.g., accepted, denied, or delayed for further investigation). Below are brief descriptions of the types of benefits afforded under Workers' Compensation. More detailed information can be found at

Medical care: Paid for by your employer to help you recover from an injury or illness caused by work

Temporary disability benefits: Payments if you lose wages because your injury prevents you from doing your usual job while recovering

Permanent disability benefits: Payments if you don't recover completely

Supplemental job displacement benefits (if your date of injury is in 2004 or later): Vouchers to help pay for retraining or skill enhancement if you don't recover completely and don't return to work for your employer

Death benefits: Payments to your spouse, children or other dependents if you die from a job injury or illness.

Temporary disability, permanent disability and death benefits all are payable at a rate of 2/3 of your average weekly salary. There are minimum and maximum amounts depending upon your date of injury.

What is Long Term Disability (LTD)?

Disability coverage that picks up where TTD leaves off. This benefit is administered by Liberty Mutual (PO Box 37500 Phoenix, AZ 8506).  A claims adjuster from Liberty will contact you via email to discuss LTD. You may be asked to complete time sensitive documentation.  It is VERY IMPORTANT that you complete these forms or contact your claims adjuster if you have questions.  Liberty Mutual will notify you by mail of the status of your claim (e.g., accepted, denied, delayed for further investigation).  Please note: Liberty Mutual is also the claims administrator for all non-occupational disability claims at Stanford.

Note: State Law excludes disability payments for the first 3 days off (including weekends) unless you are off work 14 days or more, or if you become hospitalized.  Stanford’s policy is to waive the waiting period and pay full salary for the remainder of the day in which the injury occurred and the three-day State required waiting period, plus two additional days.  This five-day period is not charged to sick leave or vacation.  After the first five-day period, accrued but unused sick leave, vacation time, PTO, or floating holiday may be used to supplement Workers’ Compensation benefits thus continuing income equivalent to full pay.

Stanford Disability and Leave Services (DLS) processes and coordinates all disability leaves of absence (LOA) with University Payroll, including those for Workers’ Compensation, as part of the Stanford Salary Continuation program.  Your HR department should inform your DLS representative of your Workers’ Compensation LOA to calculate and coordinate pay in a timely manner for all pay in which you are eligible.  For more information about DLS and the services they provide click here (

How will I be paid?

If your claim is accepted, and you will receive temporary disability payments, Zurich will administer your compensation up to two-thirds of your salary (subject to minimum and maximums pursuant to California law).  Payments are issued bi-monthly, every 14 days based on your first day off.

Supplementing Workers’ Compensation Payments - Employees may receive both paid leave and disability plan benefits concurrently, not to exceed the employee's base pay. After the initial five work days of disability, accumulated sick, PTO, floating holiday and vacation time will be used, in that order, to supplement Workers’ Compensation benefits (to be paid on the 7th and 22nd consistent with the University’s normal payroll schedule). Thus, the employee continues to receive income equivalent to full pay.

For additional information see Admin Guide 2.3.5:

Who is my “Primary Treating Physician” (PTP)?

Your Primary Treating Physician is the doctor with overall responsibility for treating your injury or illness.  He or she may be:

  • Stanford’s Occupational Health Center Medical Provider
  • The doctor you predesignated in writing prior to being injured at work
  • A doctor of your choice after the first 30-days of injury, as long as he/she accepts referrals in the California Workers’ Compensation System.

Note: If you wish to see your personal chiropractor, you may use the “Notice of Personal Chiropractor or Personal Acupuncturist” form.  Once complete, give it to your HR department. By law, chiropractors are not allowed to be the treating physician after 24 visits. 

What if I want to see my personal physician?

Employees can pre-designate a personal physician for treatment of work-related injuries or illnesses.  The physician must be your primary care doctor, and must AGREE to be predesignated.  If you wish to pre-designate a provider for such instances, you must complete the pre-designation form and submit it to your local Human Resources office prior to sustaining injury. 

You may find the “Pre-designation of Personal Physician” form here.

What is a “Medical Provider Network” (MPN)?

A MPN is a selected network of healthcare providers who provide treatment to workers injured on the job.  Stanford does NOT use an MPN.  If you still need medical care after 30 days, you can continue treatment with the Occupational Health Center provider or another doctor of your own choosing who agrees to accept workers’ compensation patients.   

If Zurich is Stanford’s Workers’ Compensation insurer, why am I getting documentation from AbsenceOne?

AbsenceOne is Stanford’s disability administrator. AbsenceOne manage short term and long term disability benefits, as well as job protection offered under the federal Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or California Family Rights Act (CFRA), for those employees who qualify. 

AbsenceOne may contact you about: (1) job protection eligibility, (2) Voluntary Disability Insurance (VDI) benefits if your workers’ compensation claim is delayed or denied, or (3) information related to long term disability benefits and how to apply for them.  It is important that you pay close attention to any correspondence you may receive.

AbsenceOne can be reached at 866-566-1906.

My claim was placed on delay.  Now what?

If you have given Stanford a completed and signed workers' compensation claim form but your claim has been placed on delay, Stanford remains required to provide all treatment until the date the workers' compensation claim is accepted or rejected, up to $10,000.  Zurich has up to 90-days to accept or deny your claim.

The claims adjuster will send you “benefit notices” that will advise you of the status of your claim.

If your workers' compensation claim is placed on delay, you will not receive payment right away from Zurich.  To get information on your VDI claim and payment, contact AbsenceOne, Stanford's disability administrator at 866-566-1906.

As a resource for additional information you may also wish to contact the State of California’s Information and Assistance Unit at: 800-736-7401.


It is illegal for an employer to take adverse employment action against employees having a work-related injury or illness, filing a claim, or testifying in another person’s workers’ compensation case.  Employers found to discriminate may face penalties.  Employees also may have additional rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). 

For additional information contact FEHA at: 800-884-1684 or the Equal Employment Opportunity commission (EEOC) at 800-669-4000.  You also can get free information form the state Division of Workers’ Compensation Information & Assistance Officer.  Hear recorded information by calling toll free 800-736-7401 or learn more at:

Any person who makes or causes to be made any knowingly false or fraudulent material statement or material representation for the purpose of obtaining or denying workers’ compensation benefits or payments is guilty of a felony.